The Afrofinity Movember Challenge
This is not just another hair-brained idea – join the movement today! Throughout the month formerly known as November, Afrofinity, in collaboration with the Movember Foundation have created the ultimate network to help Kenyans join the cause to raise funds and awareness for men’s health. Wanna fundraise solo? Perhaps you and your boys wanna make a friendly competition out of it? Or maybe you want to get your office involved? Either way, the Afrofinity Mo Network allows you to officially participate in this global phenomenon while putting Kenya on the Movember map.
What is Movember?
- Movember is about real men growing real moustaches and talking about real issues
- The Moustache is a ribbon for men’s health
- Movember’s vision is to have an everlasting impact on the face of men’s health
- Mo Bros sporting upper lip hair effectively become walking talking billboards for the 30 days of Movember raising funds and much needed awareness around the often ignored issues of men’s health
Our challenge is simple. Guys take action by signing up, shaving down their face on Movember 1, and growing a moustache for the month. They will grow and groom their new Mo (slang for moustache), asking friends and family to donate to their efforts. Once signed up, you must join the Afrofinity network* so we can keep track of your progress (and for a shot to win). Share your journey on social media, and don’t forget to add the tag #AfrofinityMovemberChallenge. There will be prizes and bragging rights for the best moustache and the individual/team that raises the most funds.
Hold on! Movember’s not just for the guys. Women who support men’s health, known as Mo Sistas, are an important part of Movember’s success. Mo Sistas register, start a team and fundraise – they do everything Mo Bros do, they just don’t grow a Mo. Mo Sistas are champions of Movember, rallying the men in their lives to join the movement, grow moustaches and have important conversations about men’s health. And guess what girls, we have prizes for you too!
In addition highlighting the prevalence of men’s cancers (testicular & prostate), some of the money raised by Movember will go towards projects which aim to support men living both with and beyond mental illness. Unlike physical illness, mental illness often goes unnoticed, with men less likely than women to seek help. Suicide is the single most common cause of death in men under 35 – that’s a scary stat! We can’t afford to stay silent any longer.
Images courtesy of Movember
Together we can change the face of men’s health, and nothing says we can’t have some fun while we’re at it. So we invite you to grow a mo during the month of November. Start a team for your office or with your boys, let’s do this!
Remember the rules:
- On November 1, you must start out clean shaven. You will then commence the growing of your beautiful, hairy masterpiece. You cannot shave your mo until Nov. 30
- Sign up, and during the month, hit up friends and family to donate to the cause.
- Join the Afrofinity network and encourage your brothers! We will be posting news, pictures, and updates, and you should do likewise. Let everyone see how your ‘stache is progressing!
- If you don’t have the cajones to grow a moustache (or if you don’t have cajones, period) you can still donate to the cause.
Fellas, this is your big chance to grow the moustache you’ve always dreamed of having but been too scared to attempt. The beauty of Movember is that during the early growing stage, the stage where the newly formed moustache’s appearance is so unsightly that most men would give up and shave, you have a ready and worthy excuse for why you look like a porn star. People will not only abstain from laughing at you, men will pat you on the back and women will french kiss you with joy (true story!). Then, at the end of the month, when the awesomeness of your facial hair is in full bloom, people will be in such awe of it that they will beg you not to shave it off. It’s win-win here folks.
Speaking of winning, remember that finally having the manly whiskers of your dreams is not the only prize. Prizes will be announced within the next week, but what’s better than knowing you saved a bro? Grow that mo!
*By joining the Afrofinity network, you will put Kenya on the Movember map, increasing our nation’s chance of officially joining the 21 participating Movember countries. Want to see Movember Kenya? Join our network!